Monday, February 18, 2008

First blog

I am looking forward to understanding more about all of this. I have taught myself to create a wiki, painstakingly, and we now use this in the library for access to material used by staff. It has been very time-consuming creating the wiki and keeping it up to date. So...although I can see the usefulness of blogs for creating a relationship with our customers, I can see the time required being prohibitive, given our current level of staffing. Within the library, now that staff are familiar with the wiki, I think blogging would be a useful way to have a continuing dialogue about topics that arise on a daily basis. So far, this training seems like a pretty painless way to learn new things and move ourselves forward, and I will be encouraging everyone to have a go.

The concept of "lifelong learning" seems so widespread now that it's hard to imagine that not everyone would want to engage in it. Just on the weekend I was helping my mother (in her seventies) to open an eBay account, and it seemed like a totally normal thing to be doing - but maybe just a few years ago it would have seemed quite unusual. She's always sending me emails with jokes from her friends - mostly corny ones, but it is certainly a sign of the times!

No comments: