Thursday, May 15, 2008

Google Docs

Have just sent a document to share from Google Docs - a very brief one. It had the same feel as using Wetpaint in that you can't do certain things - have been told by our IT person it is because the software is basic. Pretty good for free though. For example, I couldn't put a photo from Flickr onto it - kept getting indecipherable messages about it, so just inserted one from my computer. If nothing else, I have learned to try different ways to make things work, whereas before doing this training I would probably have just given up.
I can see an immediate use for us at the library, as we have been working on making a tip sheet (for about a year) for patrons for using the NSWnet database. Even though several people have sent their suggestions and additions, it still remains for one person to coordinate these changes. Google Docs would be a good way for all of us to edit the document and hopefully move forward to a final result.
I haven't had time yet to explore all the other possible free applications, but they look good and I will be passing n the knowledge to my family, friends and work colleagues.

1 comment:

pls@slnsw said...

Good idea for using Google docs (I'm impressed you're working on a tip sheet for the databases - that's great!)

And I have also learned to persevere with workarounds while doing this program!

Victoria